The Enphase micro inverter… It’s one of the leading micro inverter brands on the market and it’s been around for quite a while now. Enphase have been quite successful in the US, although apparently still haven’t turned a profit! They were one of the fastest growing companies in the US in the tech sector according to this. So, are their products any good? Is it a good idea to get micro inverters in the first place?
Quick Background – Enphase Micro Inverters
Micro inverters are what they sound like. Yep, small inverters. So if you have say, 12 solar panels on the roof. In a “standard” setup, you’d have just 1 “string” inverter. In a micro inverter setup, you have a small inverter that sits under each panel (in this case 12). There are a number of benefits to using micro inverters which we won’t get into too much here.
Enphase Micro Inverters – The Good
Like any micro inverter, enphase energy micro inverters have their pluses:
- They produce about 6% more power even if there is no shade at all.
- They are the best option if you have shade problems on your roof.
- They make panel-level monitoring possible – this is just awesome.
What’s special about enphase micro inverters? Well, here are a few points:
- They are solidly built and have thought about pretty well everything
- Their marketing is awesome
- They are a large, reputable company
Enphase Micro Inverters – The Not So Good
Well, there’s always 2 sides to these things right. And enphase is no exception really.
Here’s a few points worth mentioning:
- They are expensive!
- More parts means more things that could go wrong.
- Monitoring via PLC can have issues but this doesn’t seem to be a big problem with enphase unlike some other micro inverter companies.
- Their monitoring “envoy” looks horrible
All up, there are some definite benefits to enphase micro inverters, or any brand for that matter. I mean, 6% extra power production adds at least $2,400 over the next 20 years to your solar savings. A few things to consider though… When SMA bring their micro inverter (in about 2 weeks) to Oz, I’ll be interested to see the price comparison and quality difference.
Enphase Micro Inverter Video (Shows How They Work)